The expressions of xanthine oxidase and NADPH oxidase were significantly reduced in the treated group.
What does XO stand for?
XO stands for Xanthine Oxidase (enzyme)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of XO
- Crystal Oscillator
- Excess Officer (US Military humor)
- Executive Officer
- Expenditure Order
- Extra Old
- eXtra Ordinary
- Extremely Old
- Genetic Code for Turner's Syndrome
- Hug and Kiss
- Turner's Syndrome (disorder)
- Experience Oriented Architecture (Adobe Systems, Inc.)
- X-Ray on Arrival (hospitals)
- Xanthine Oxidase Activity
- Xerox Order Agreement
- Christ on A Crutch
- Execution Orbital Analysis Engineer
- Xususiy Ochiq Aksiyadorlik Tijorat Bank (Uzbekistan)
- Xenon Optical Beacon
- XML (Extensible Markup Language) Object Binder (computing)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Febuxostat, which came onto the market in 2009, is a xanthine oxidase inhibitor that acts by decreasing serum uric acid.
Different activities of oxidant and antioxidant enzymes, namely xanthine oxidase (XO) and superoxide dismutase (SOD), have been reported (10, 11).
The researchers suspect that allopurinol blocks an enzyme called xanthine oxidase, which in turn reduces the energy used by the heart in each beat.
It is also possible that higher levels of UA reflect higher levels of xanthine oxidase activity and oxidative stress.
The clever Homo sapiens soon found a cure for this disease, They sent in allopurinol to trick the xanthine oxidase with ease; "The Trojan Horse" was taken in by the enzyme without a shred of doubt, Not knowing what the true nature of this substrate was all about.
Like allopurinol, febuxostat inhibits xanthine oxidase, but is selective and does not inhibit other enzymes.