The expressions of xanthine oxidase and NADPH oxidase were significantly reduced in the treated group.
What does XAN stand for?
XAN stands for Xanthine
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of XAN
We have 1 other meaning of XAN in our Acronym Attic
- Xenon Arc Lamp
- XML-Accelerator Library
- Extended Application-Layer Structure
- Extensible Access Method (SNIA)
- Merchant Ship Converted Into a Mine-Sweeper (US Navy)
- XML (Extensible Markup Language) Access Modules (computer programming)
- Extensible Application Markup Language (Microsoft)
- Transaction Authority Markup Language (vendor neutral transaction standard)
- X (any of four different operating systems), Apache, MySQL, PHP and Perl
- eXtended Account Managing Software
- XML (Extensible Markup Language) Aware Network
- XML (Extensible Markup Language) Aware Networks
- Extensible Applications Native Approach
- Xenon, Argon, and Neon Association of Downtown Utica
- X-Ray Absorption Near Edge Structure
- X-ray Absorption Near-edge Spectra
- Expanded All Outlets Combined (market data)
- Exchange Access Operations Management (Bellcore)
- Experimental Aerial Platforms
- Merchant Cargo Ship (US Navy)
Samples in periodicals archive:
In higher organisms, they fall into only two categories: xanthine dehydrogenases are involved in metabolic pathways; sulfite oxidases catalyse a small but important set of reactions involved in brain development.
Allopurinol inhibits xanthine oxidase, the enzyme that converts hypoxanthine to xanthine and xanthine to uric acid.
In this in vitro study kinetic measurements were performed on both an 80% ethanolic (v/v) Olea europaea leaf dry extract (OLE) as well as on nine of its typical phenolic constituents in order to investigate its possible inhibitory effects on xanthine oxidase (XO), an enzyme well known to contribute significantly to this pathological process.
The catalysis of xanthine by the enzyme xanthine oxidase (XO) can lead to the accumulation of uric acid, and ultimately cause gout.
Different activities of oxidant and antioxidant enzymes, namely xanthine oxidase (XO) and superoxide dismutase (SOD), have been reported (10, 11).
The researchers suspect that allopurinol blocks an enzyme called xanthine oxidase, which in turn reduces the energy used by the heart in each beat.
Fatal Attraction There was this metallo-enzyme known as xanthine oxidase, In the metabolism of purine nucleotides she held a special place; Hypoxanthine and xanthine she would take up with consummate ease, Oxygen and FAD she devoured, uric acid she would release.