Nine bright southern double stars were measured and compared with observations made by Bob Argyle (from Cambridge University) using the 26" refractor in Johannesburg and the values listed in the Washington Double Star Catalog (WDS).
What does WDS stand for?
WDS stands for Washington Double Star (Catalog; US Naval Observatory)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of WDS
We have 129 other meanings of WDS in our Acronym Attic
- Well Distributed Ray Set (algorithm)
- Winchester Disability Rating Scale
- Wireless Data Roaming Service
- Water Detection and Response Team
- Whole Disk Recovery Token (encrypted drive access)
- Williams Delayed Recall Test (neurology)
- Welsh Deaf Rugby Union
- Wachovia Dealer Services (banking)
- Walt Disney Studios
- Washington Dental Service (insurance)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The Washington Double Star Catalogue lists the star as having 2 components, with magnitudes of 7.
At present the US Naval Observatory is the leader in the field of double star research, and maintains the Washington Double Star Catalogue which currently lists more than 80 000 double stars.
122 gives their technical details, obtained from the Washington Double Star Catalogue.