When the Chinese characters are provided, it does not matter whether the author uses pinyin or the Wade-Giles spelling.
What does WG stand for?
WG stands for Wade-Giles
This definition appears frequently
See other definitions of WG
We have 16 other meanings of WG in our Acronym Attic
- Words for Your Enjoyment
- Worcester Federation of Young Farmers (UK)
- Worcestershire Federation of Young Farmers Clubs (UK)
- Waiting for Your Reply
- World Festival of Youth and Students
- Wasatch Fault Zone
- Weapons Free Zone
- White Fulani Zebu (cow breed)
- Wing Fortress Zone (Sonic 2 level)
- World Free Zone Convention (est. 2001)
Samples in periodicals archive:
9) Chinese book titles and place names are given here in pinyin transliteration, and we sometimes also give the older Wade-Giles system that was used in the cited translations.
In the beginning consistently we find the Wade-Giles transcription system for Chinese.
17 Pinyin and Wade-Giles are methods of rendering which language in romanised alphabets?
Mandarin-sounding names now predominate, and, due to immigration from the People's Republic of China since 1980, Pinyin spelling is replacing Wade-Giles romanization in popularity Also, since 1980, the foreign-born constitutes the majority in Chinese America.
Even before the beginning of these main sections, readers are surprisingly treated with a very educational and historical lesson on the Piyin and Wade-Giles systems.
Several methods of transliteration are widely used, the most prominent being Pinyin--which recently has gained ascendancy because of its formal adoption by the People's Republic of China--and Wade-Giles, which previously had been predominant.
Besides the above merits, the book adopts pinyin system, instead of the older Wade-Giles system, for romanization of Chinese characters; this is a good and wise choice.