One of these genes, the virion infectivity factor (vif) encodes a 23 kD protein that counteracts an innate, antiretroviral defense mechanism of CD4+ T helper cells (9), the primary target of HIV (2).
What does VIF stand for?
VIF stands for Virion Infectivity Factor (protein)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of VIF
We have 39 other meanings of VIF in our Acronym Attic
- Vehicle Integration Facility
- Venture Investment Fund Limited (New Zealand)
- Verify In Field
- Versicherung, Immobilien, Finanzierung (German: Insurance, Real Estate, Financing)
- Vertical Integration Facility (rocket launching)
- Very Important Freak
- Very Important Friend
- Very Integration Friendly
- Victoria (Amtrak station code; Victoria, British Columbia, Canada)
- Violencia Intrafamiliar (Spanish: Combating Domestic Violence)
- Virtual Industry Forum (Canada)
- Virtual Interface
- Virtual Interrupt Flag
- Visiting International Faculty
- Voenno-Istoritcheskij Forum (Russian: Military Historic Forum)
- Voice Information Field (audio coding)
- Voting Instruction Form (various companies)
- Valley International Foosball Association (Bay City, MI)
- Vancouver Island Film Association (British Columbia, Canada)
- Victoria Free-Net Association
Samples in periodicals archive:
Vif, which stands for virion infectivity factor, seems to play a vital role when HIV infects such cells.