Since the child does not have siblings, the next step is to search for matching unrelated donors -- either cord blood or matched unrelated donors --which is much more expensive.
What does URD stand for?
URD stands for Unrelated Donor (tissue transplantation)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of URD
We have 38 other meanings of URD in our Acronym Attic
- Uganda Rural Community Support Foundation
- Union Royale Cynologique Saint-Hubert (French: Royal Saint Hubert Cylonogique; dog breeding)
- Ultrasound-Reflection Computed Tomography
- Underground Residential Distribution
- Union for Renewal and Democracy (Chad)
- Union pour le Renouveau Démocratique (French: Union for Democratic Renewal, Senegal)
- Unión Revolucionaria Democrática (Revolutionary Democratic Union; political party, Guatemala)
- Unit Reference Designator
- Unit Release Dose
- Unité de Recherche Démographique (French: Demographic Research Unit; Togo; est. 1975)
Samples in periodicals archive:
He said the unrelated donor law is strictly enforced in all major Lebanese hospitals, including his own.
About a quarter of these stem cell transplants involved an unrelated donor and recipient.
This number represents less than 30 per cent of individuals who would otherwise be eligible to receive an unrelated donor bone marrow transplant because for the rest a fully matched donor cannot be found.
If a related donor is not available, then a matched unrelated cord or unrelated donor is used.
The Health Ministry is considering paying unrelated donors to boost the supply of organs, health minister Khaw Boon Wan said.
Matched-unrelated-donor stem cell donors Two alternative non-family sources of stem cells are now used, namely matched unrelated donor (MUD) transplants and umbilical cord blood transplants.