Byline: The Register-Guard President Obama's call for universal pre-kindergarten in his State of the Union address sounded more like a hope than a plan.
What does UPK stand for?
UPK stands for Universal Pre-Kindergarten
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of UPK
We have 8 other meanings of UPK in our Acronym Attic
- Union des Patrons et Professionnels Juifs de France (Union of French Jewish Employers and Professionals)
- Uttar Pradesh Jal Nigam (Indian water utility)
- Uretero-Pelvic Junction Obstruction (urology)
- University of the Philippines Junior Philippine Institute of Accountants
- Univerzita Pavol Jozef Safarika
- University of Picardie Jules Verne (France)
- Underpinning Knowledge
- Unit Pack
- Unit Pengurusan Kolej (Malaysian college)
- Universal Practical Knowledge
- University Press of Kentucky (est. 1969; Lexington, KY)
- User Productivity Kit (Oracle)
- Unit Pengelola Keuangan Desa (financial institution; Area Development Project in Nusa Tenggara; World Bank; Indonesia)
- Udruga Pokretnih Komunikacija Hrvatske (Croatian: Croatian Association of Mobile Communications Providers)
- United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Organization (Malaysia, political party)
- Unit Pemimpin Kemajuan Rakyat (Indonesian: Unit Leader Progress People)
- Ukraine Premier League (football)
- Un-equal Packet Loss
- Unacceptable Pollutant Level
Samples in periodicals archive:
State government plays a critical role improving early literacy by funding programs such as Universal Pre-Kindergarten, Head Start and early intervention, which increase access to reading at an early age and address early speech concerns.
Perhaps rooted in an American ideal to level the playing field for children as they enter formal schooling, the proliferation of state-sponsored universal pre-kindergarten programs is testament to the growing concern about the variability of children's skills upon school entry.
It is also important to note that a ballot initiative calling for universal pre-kindergarten in California went down in defeat in the summer of 2006, despite the fact that the chambers of commerce of Los Angeles and San Francisco had come out in support of the proposition based on its economic impact.
Among their topics are the role of strategic communications in policy advocacy, from visions to systems of universal pre-kindergarten, new directions in prevention and intervention for teen pregnancy and parenthood, and using the Web to disseminate research and affect public policy.
In the most ambitious plan since education reforms in 1993, the new Democratic governor will seek to lengthen the school day by at least two hours, create a universal pre-kindergarten program, strengthen curriculum requirements in math and English and launch new teacher training programs.