United Mine Workers of America President Cecil Roberts met briefly with Viacom's chief operating officer, Mel Karmazin.
What does UMWA stand for?
UMWA stands for United Mine Workers of America (aka United Mine Workers Association)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of UMWA
We have 2 other meanings of UMWA in our Acronym Attic
- Uniformly Minimum Variance Unbiased (estimator)
- Uniformly Minimum Variance Unbiased Estimate
- United Methodist Women
- United Mine Workers
- United Motor Works
- University of Mary Washington
- University of Montana Western (Dillon, Montana)
- University of Mounted Warfare
- Unmarried Widow (United States)
- Uganda Media Women's Association (est. 1983)
- United Muslim Women's Association
- Upper Mississippi Waterways Association
- Uganda Muslim Women Association for Daawa and Development (est. 2002)
- United Methodist Womens Club
- United Muslim Women of Canada
- University Mountain Walking Club (Wales)
- University of Mary Washington Real Estate Foundation (Fredericksburg, VA)
- UMW Toyota Capital Sdn Bhd
- Uganda Medical Workers Union
- Uganda Muslim Women Vision
Samples in periodicals archive:
In relatively rapid succession, coal miners rallied around the Greenback Labor Party (LP), the Knights of Labor (K of L), and finally the United Mine Workers of America (UMWA).
These gains are largely due to the efforts of the United Mine Workers of America (UMWA), nothwithstanding all of its faults during the 40-year autocratic reign of John Lewis and a decade of rule under a corrupt successor.
See Herbert Hill, "Myth-Making as Labor History: Herbert Gutman and the United Mine Workers of America," International Journal of Politics, Culture and Society 2 (Winter 1988): 132-200 and Stephen Brier, "In Defense of Gutman: The Union's Case," International Journal of Politics, Culture and Society 3 (Spring 1989): 382-395.