An increased understanding of the genetics gives us some insight into what causes ulcerative colitis and will potentially help us identify new therapies for ulcerative colitis.
What does UC stand for?
UC stands for Ulcerative Colitis
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of UC
We have 26 other meanings of UC in our Acronym Attic
- Usborne Book of World History
- Upper Blackstone Water Pollution Abatement District (Millbury, MA)
- Userbox (Wikipedia)
- Upper Body Exercise Table (sports medicine)
- Upper Bucks YMCA (Quakertown, PA)
- Umwelt Bildungs Zentrum (German: Environmental Education Center; Styria, Austria)
- Upper Border Zone (mineralogy)
- Air Post Envelope or Letter Sheet (Scott Catalogue prefix; philately)
- ULANA Certified
Samples in periodicals archive:
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease.
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic, relapsing disorder that causes inflammation and ulceration in the inner lining of the rectum and large intestine.
To test whether the relative amounts of essential fatty acids in the diet affects colitis-related damage, Natalia Nieto and her colleagues at the University of Granada in Spain induced ulcerative colitis in a group of rats by administering a substance known as trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid through a tube into the animals' colons.
For unknown reasons, ulcerative colitis is rarely seen among smokers--and doctors have observed that ulcerative colitis patients who take up smoking sometimes experience relief of their symptoms.