His career has focused on investigating the cellular machinery that mediates protein degradation by the Ubiquitin-Proteasome System (UPS), and how this machinery regulates cell division.
What does UPS stand for?
UPS stands for Ubiquitin-Proteasome System
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of UPS
We have 209 other meanings of UPS in our Acronym Attic
- Ulasim Planlama Rayli Sistem Daire Baskanligi (Department of Transportation Planning and Rail System, Daire Baskanligi, Turkey)
- Union des Personnels de la Restauration Territoriale (French: Restoration Region Manpower Union)
- University of Pécs Roundtable (Pecs, Hungary conference)
- Upset Recovery Training (aviation)
- Uracil Phosphoribosyltransferase
- University Promotion, Retention and Tenure Committee
- UP (Uttar Pradesh) Rajarshi Tandon Open University (India)
- University of Puerto Rico at Utuado
- Uttar Pradesh Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited (Indian power company)
- Udruga Poslovnih Savjetnika (Croatian: Association of Management Consultants)
- Ulster Property Sales (UK)
- Ultimate Protection Squad (FIRST Robotics Competition Team 1675)
- Ultraviolet Particle Sizer
- Ultraviolet Photoelectron Spectroscopy
- Ultraviolet Photoemisson Spectroscopy
- Unclaimed Property System (Wagers software used by many states to process unclaimed property)
- Under Provisions of Section
- Undergraduate Professional Study (program)
- Underground Press Syndicate
Samples in periodicals archive:
Their paper, Chloroplast Biogenesis is Regulated by Direct Action of the Ubiquitin-Proteasome System, is due to be published in the journal Science on November 2.
10) Clearing misfolded mutant protein and inhibiting aggregate formation Decreasing mutant protein levels may also be achieved by enhancing polyQ protein clearance, through upregulation of the two main cellular pathways responsible for degradation of misfolded proteins--the ubiquitin-proteasome system (UPS) and autophagy.
Neuronal cell adhesion molecules "are critical in the development of the nervous system, contributing to axonal guidance, synaptic formation and plasticity, and neuronal-glial interactions," the researchers explained, while the ubiquitin-proteasome system "operates pre- and post-synaptic compartments, regulating synaptic attributes, including transmitter release, synaptic vesicle recycling in pre-synaptic terminals, and dynamic changes in dendritic spines and the post-synaptic density.
Gupta, the Ubiquitin-Proteasome system controls basic cellular processes such as cell division, cell signalling and gene regulation.
Hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha (HIF-1alpha) protein is rapidly degraded by the ubiquitin-proteasome system under normoxic conditions.
The ubiquitin-proteasome system mediates protein recycling by tagging abnormal or unwanted proteins within cells with the small protein ubiquitin.