Rose from the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, USA, they discovered that covalent attachment of ubiquitin to a target protein signals it for degradation.
What does Ub stand for?
Ub stands for Ubiquitin
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of Ub
We have 14 other meanings of Ub in our Acronym Attic
- Use At Your Own Risk
- Ulianovsky Avtomobilny Zavod (Russian auto manufacturer)
- Universidad Autonoma de Zacatecas
- University of Arizona
- University of Aberdeen Zoology Department (UK)
- University of Arizona Department of Geosciences
- Unidad Administrativa Zona Norte (Spanish: Northern Zone Management Unit; Mexico)
- Urban Area Zoning Ordinance (Yakima, WA)
- Myanmar Airways (IATA airline code)
- Southall (postcode, United Kingdom)
Samples in periodicals archive:
However, a major way of targeting and removing proteins is the proteasome system which requires a small (76-amino acid residue) protein called ubiquitin (because of its ubiquitous presence in cells).
SELDI-TOF MS IMMUNOCAPTURING OF UBIQUITIN The SELDI immunoassay was performed according to Tolson et al.
Specifically, Rigel was granted six patents in immunology, five patents related to its ubiquitin ligase technology, four patents related to hepatitis-C (HCV), six patents in oncology, four patents towards its library screening technology, and four patents in Fluorescence- Activated Cell Sorter (FACS) technology.
Within cells, ubiquitin identifies and attaches to proteins that are ripe for degradation and removal.
With Mariano Carrion-Vazquez, also of Columbia, and others, Fernandez discovered a hidden weakness by which ubiquitin can be unfolded with much less force than by simply pulling on one of the molecule's two ends.