A main character here is John Poindexter, the retired Navy admiral who was behind the Total Information Awareness program, an effort - launched after Sept.
What does TIA stand for?
TIA stands for Total Information Awareness (US DARPA program; now Terrorism Information Awareness)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of TIA
We have 278 other meanings of TIA in our Acronym Attic
- Time Impact Analysis
- Time Interval Analyzer
- Tirana, Albania - Rinas (Airport Code)
- Tire Industry Association
- Tobacco Institute of Australia
- Tochigi International Association (Japan)
- Today I Ate
- Tohoku Internet Association (Japan)
- Tortilla Industry Association
- Total Inactive Aircraft
- Totally Integrated Automation (Siemens AG)
- Tourism Industry Association of New Zealand (also seen as TIANZ)
- Tournament Indoor Association (color guard group)
- Toy Industry Association, Inc.
- Tradition in Action (relgious group)
- Traffic Impact Analysis
- Traffic Improvement Association
- Training Impact Analysis
- Transient Ischemic Attack
- Transimpedance Amplifier
Samples in periodicals archive:
Likewise, he says, huge collections of information gleaned from private sources such as phone companies, banks, and credit bureaus (along the lines of America's renamed but not abandoned Total Information Awareness program) are unmanageable and rife with errors.
The Pentagon's Total Information Awareness program, for example, sought to provide military personnel with real-time access to actionable battlefield information.
Privacy concerns prompted Congress to shut down the Pentagon's $54 million Total Information Awareness (TIA) program last September, but according to a recent congressional report, government computers have not stopped combing private records.
As his story reached its climax, I happened to stumble across an article in my newspaper on the Defense Department's Total Information Awareness project (renamed Terrorism Information Awareness before being shut down by Congress)--a system of databases and information-mining technologies that allegedly would enable massive monitoring and tracking of individuals.
Asked at a news conference about Total Information Awareness, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld laughed and said, well then we'll change the name and do it anyway.