If such a payment is subject to information reporting, and the payee has not certified his or her taxpayer identification number (TIN) on Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (or certain other conditions exist), the payer must perform "backup" withholding at 28%.
What does TIN stand for?
TIN stands for Taxpayer Identification Number
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of TIN
We have 69 other meanings of TIN in our Acronym Attic
- Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve (US National Park Service)
- Technologie in Medizin Und Gesundheitswesen (German: Technology in Medicine and Healthcare Association; Bonn, Germany)
- Turkish International Model United Nations
- Transportation, Inventory, Movement, Waiting, Overproduction, Over-Processing, Defects (production mneumonic)
- This Inquiring Mind Wants to Know
- Transplant Information Management System
- Tactical Intelligence Network (USFK specific)
- Task Implementation Notice
- Tax Identification Number
- Tax Information Number
- Technical Interoperability Network
- Tele-Electronic Identification Number
- Telecentro de Informações e Negócios (Portugese, Brasil)
- Telecom Italia Net (Italian internet service provider)
- Temporary Identification Number
- Terminal Indicate Number
- Testicular Intraepithelial Neoplasia
- Texas Innocence Network (University of Houston; Houston, TX)
- The Imperial Navy (Pardus Game)
- The Iris Network (various organizations)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The acknowledgment must include the donor's name and taxpayer identification number (typically, his or her Social Security number), the vehicle identification number, a statement certifying that the car was sold in an arm's-length transaction, the amount of gross proceeds from the sale and a statement that the donor may not deduct more than the gross proceeds from the sale.
Interactive Taxpayer Identification Number Matching--Interactive Taxpayer Identification Number Matching (TIN Matching) is a new, pre-filing service offered to banks or others that pay income subject to backup withholding.
Foreign Investor Rule #1: A foreign partner must obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number from the Internal Revenue Service.
An ATIN is an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number issued by the IRS as a temporary taxpayer identification number for the child in a domestic adoption where the adopting taxpayers do not have and/or are unable to obtain the child's Social Security Number (SSN).
Exhibit (20)(10)00-7: TIN Validation Exhibit (20)(10)00-7 provides an explanation of the taxpayer identification number (TIN) validation process.