When the crowd parted, there stood a majestically bedecked figure in African garb Bernice Johnson Reagon, founder of Sweet Honey in the Rock, an all-African-American, female a cappella group that has endured for 30 years.
What does SHIR stand for?
SHIR stands for Sweet Honey in the Rock (a capella group)
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Slang/chat, popular culture
See other definitions of SHIR
- Safety and Health Injury Prevention Sheets (US OSHA)
- Scottish Hospital In-Patient Statistics (database; UK)
- Seafaring Heritage in Partnership Seattle (Seattle, WA)
- Seismic Hazards Investigation in Puget Sound (Washington)
- Statistical Hurricane Intensity Prediction Scheme
- Joint Ship/Submarine Service Request
- Ship Status Report
- Ship Superintendent
- Self-Heating Individual Ration
- Ships History & Inventory Record
- Strategic Homeland Infrastructure Risk Assessment
- S-Band High-Precision Short-Range Navigation
- Standby High Readiness Brigade
- Standby High Readiness Brigade for United Nations Operations
- Student Health Insurance Review Committee (University of Chicago)
- Salford Health Informatics Research Environment (University of Salford; UK)
- Southern Hemisphere Imaging Riometer Experiment (Australia)
- Southern Hemisphere Infrared Experiment
- Summit Health Institute for Research and Education, Inc. (Washington, DC)
- Southern Hemisphere International Rock Mechanics Symposium
Samples in periodicals archive:
Byline: By David Whetstone A rare musical experience is offered tonight, when the African-American group Sweet Honey In The Rock takes the stage at Newcastle City Hall.
NSOME 11 years before Sweet Honey In The Rock were formed, a young Londoner named John Henry Deighton was making his recording debut with a song called Air Travel.
Grammy award-winning acapella group Sweet Honey in the Rock will be welcomed to Newcastle for its 30th birthday.
Sweet Honey in the Rock produce a bluesy "And When I Die" free from grandstanding yet intense with gritty drama.
It may not be possible for Bernice Johnson Reagon to eclipse her considerable reputation as a performer with Sweet Honey in the Rock, an a capella group she founded.