In addition to the pounds 60m, Virgin Atlantic has spent pounds 14m buying the licensing rights to Burt Rutan's Space Ship One, which successfully went into space twice earlier this month.
What does SS1 stand for?
SS1 stands for Space Ship One (Scaled Composites)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Business, finance, etc.
See other definitions of SS1
We have 1 other meaning of SS1 in our Acronym Attic
- Space Station/Loral
- Space Systems/Loral (Palo Alto, CA)
- Subsystem/Project Plan
- Sjogren Syndrome/Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Overlap Syndrome
- South Shore Social Sailing Series (South Shore Yacht Club; Milwaukee, WI)
- Satellite-Switched/Time Division Multiple Access
- Spread Spectrum/Time Division Multiple Access
- Skull Squadren 1 (gaming clan)
- Stick Stories 1 (Internet video)
- System Shock 1 (computer game)
- Sinkin Score at 12 Hours
- Sjogren's Secondary Syndrome (autoimmune disorder)
- Super Saiyain 2 (Dragonball)
- System Shock 2 (computer game)
- Summer Solstice-Blue Moon
- Skysensor 2000 (computezised handset controller for amateur telescopes)
- Summer Songs 2000 (Weezer album)
- Non-Acoustic Sensor Operator in the P3 (US Navy)
Samples in periodicals archive:
On Wednesday, Space Ship One made an inelegant second ascent, rolling more than two dozen times as it rocketed into sub-orbital space.
The Space Ship One rocket plane, funded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, took off from a desert runway slung to the belly of a carrier plane with test pilot Brian Binnie at the wheel.
The spacecraft are modelled on Space Ship One, designed by aviation legend Burt Rutan whose company, Scaled Composites, operated the world's first privately manned space flight last June.
The first private manned space flight took place in June, when Space Ship One, a craft funded by billionaire Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen and designed by aviation pioneer Burt Rutan, reached the required altitude on a test flight.