of Arizona), who was involved with the Space Infrared Telescope Facility (SIRTF) also known as the Spitzer, tells the story of the creation of the project in 1983, political and managerial issues at NASA that impeded its progress, budget problems during a period of downsizing, its completion in 2002, launching in 2003, and first year in orbit.
What does SIRTF stand for?
SIRTF stands for Space Infrared Telescope Facility (now Spitzer Space Telescope; NASA)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Selective Internal Radiotherapy
- Serious Incident Response Team
- Shot Indicating Resetting Trigger (firearms)
- Signaling Information Receiver/Transmitter
- Simultaneous Iterative Reconstruction Technique
- Spam Incident Reporting & Termination (CastleCops)
- Staten Island Rapid Transit Railway Company
- Site Instrumental de Recherche par Télédétection Atmosphérique (French: Site Search by Instrumental Atmospheric Remote Sensing; Palaiseau, France)
- Stampa Italiana Radio Televisione in Argentina (Italian: Italian Print, Radio and Television in Argentina; journalist organization)
- Social Information Retrieval for Technology Enhanced Learning (workshop)
- Spokane Intercollegiate Research and Technology Institute
- Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority
- Single Image Random Text Stereograms
- Social Inclusion Research Unit (School of Health, Social Care and Sport and Exercise Sciences; Glyndwr University; Wales, UK)
- Social Informatics Research Unit (Deptartment of Sociology, University of York, UK)
- Space Inertial Reference Unit (Northrop Grumman)
- Staphylococcal Interspersed Repeat Unit (microbiology)
- Stellar Inertial Reference Unit
- Subtropical Insects Research Unit (USDA)
- Solomon Islands Rugby Union Federation
Samples in periodicals archive:
Previously known as the Space Infrared Telescope Facility and now renamed in honor of the late astronomer Lyman Spitzer Jr.
The Space Infrared Telescope Facility, known as SIRTF, is the last of four Nasa spacecraft designed to peer deeper into the universe using an array of tools that measure light of varying wavelengths.
The next steps really will be to see what the Space Infrared Telescope Facility can tell us about these objects," notes Koekemoer.
In a few months, NASA is scheduled to launch the Space Infrared Telescope Facility.