Vego begins by noting that in the early days of the Pacific War the Americans split their command arrangements, with General Douglas MacArthur in charge of the South West Pacific Area (SWPA) and Admiral Chester Nimitz commanding the Pacific Ocean Area (POA).
What does SWPA stand for?
SWPA stands for South West Pacific Area
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of SWPA
We have 6 other meanings of SWPA in our Acronym Attic
- Systematic Withdrawal Plan
- Solid Waste Processing And Disposal
- Software Package 1 (JCALS)
- Spore Wall Protein 1
- Software Package 2 (JCALS)
- Software Package 3 (JCALS)
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (National Pollution Discharge Elimination Program under the Federal Governments Clean Water Act)
- Software Package 4 (JCALS)
- Sony World Photography Awards (competition)
- Source Water Protection Area
- Southwest Pacific and Australia Theatre of Operations
- Southwestern Pennsylvania
- Southwestern Power Administration
- Spoken Word Publishing Association (UK)
- Submersible Wastewater Pump Association
- Surplus War Property Administration (Office of War Mobilization)
- Swimming and Water Polo Association
- South West Participatory Arts Network (Devon, UK)
- State Water Project Analysis Office (State of California)
- School Wide Positive Behaviour
Samples in periodicals archive:
With the end of war in sight and a glut of pilots waiting for active service, Barry chose to go the South West Pacific Area in an administrative roll as a Flying Officer.
He saw active service in the South West Pacific Area on vessels such as the Era and Lawana from the Melbourne Steamship Company, which plied the coastal routes between southern Australia and the war torn islands to the north, at a time when 1 in 8 Merchant Mariners met their demise at the hands of the enemy.