3 billion years ago, a giant object hit near the moon's South Pole, forming the South Pole-Aitken Basin, one of the two largest proven impact basins in the solar system.
What does SPA stand for?
SPA stands for South Pole-Aitken (Basin)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of SPA
We have 754 other meanings of SPA in our Acronym Attic
- Software Process Assessment
- Software Product Assessment
- Software Product Assurance
- Software Publishers Association (now SIIA)
- Solar Panel Assembly
- Solas Per Aqua (Latin: Health by Water)
- Solution Provider Agreement
- Sony Pictures Animation (Sony Pictures Entertainment)
- SOSUS Probability Area
- Source Prescription Audit
Samples in periodicals archive:
Researchers focused their search on the moon's South Pole-Aitken basin, a mammoth depression 12 km deep and 2,500 km across-a quarter of the moon's circumference.
Shortly after the Moon formed, an asteroid smacked into its southern hemisphere and gouged out a truly enormous crater, the South Pole-Aitken basin, almost 1,500 miles across and more than five miles deep.
The third proposal is the launch of the Lunar South Pole-Aitken Basin Sample Return Mission, which would place a lander in a broad basin near the Moon's south pole and return approximately two pounds of lunar materials for study.