Double-stranded RNA activates cellular machinery that chops up single-stranded RNA carrying messages from the particular gene.
What does ssRNA stand for?
ssRNA stands for Single-Stranded RNA
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- State-Specific and Regional Migration (Australia)
- Strap-On Solid Rocket Motor (additional solid rocket motors to increase mass liftoff capacity)
- Southside Regional Medical Center (Virginia)
- Swiss Society of Radiobiology and Medical Physics
- Space Station Remote Manipulator System
- National Sample Survey of Registered Nurses (US DHHS; Washington, DC)
- Scottish Stroke Research Network (UK)
- Social Science Research Network
- Soft Switch Radio Network (Motorola)
- Software Startup Research Network
- Surface Ship Radiated Noise Measurement
- Sagittal Split Ramus Osteotomy (maxillofacial surgery)
- Sector Scan Receive Only
- Service, Support, Research and Others (International Organization for Standardization)
- Single Source Regulations Office (UK)
- Site Specific Research Organization (healthcare)
- Solent Sea-Rescue Organisation (independent lifeboats in and around the Solent and Isle of Wight, Uk)
- Star Shadows Remote Observatory
- Stockholm Street Race Organisation
- System Safety and Reliability Office
Samples in periodicals archive:
In this technique, a complementary strand of RNA, the antisense strand, binds to part of a cell's normal, single-stranded RNA.
Cohen suggests these oligos disrupt a process by which retroviruses, such as HIV, make new DNA starting with the single-stranded RNA, the reverse of the usual production of RNA from DNA.