The rail disaster came two months after 51 schoolchildren were killed when their bus was hit by a train in Assiut in southern Egypt, an accident blamed on a dozing signal operator.
What does SIG OP stand for?
SIG OP stands for Signal Operator (military communications specialist)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Stress in General (scale)
- Structural Informatics Group (Washington)
- Summer Institute for the Gifted
- Surface Immunoglobulins
- Susquehanna International Group (Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania)
- System Integration Group
- Système d'Information Géographique (French)
- Sigmon Traffic Alert (Lloyd Sigmon)
- Signal Battalion
- Signal Ground
- Special Interest Group: Information Architecture
- Senior Interdepartmental Group - International Economic Policy (Ronald Regan era interdepartmental policy group)
- Signorina (Italian: Miss)
- Signora (Italian: Mistress)
- Schweizerischer Israelitischer Gemeindebund/Fédération Suisse des Communautés Israélites
- Special Interest Group on Library Automation
- Special Interest Group on Process Automation and Management (Association for Information Systems)
- Special Interest Group on User On-Line Interaction
- Special Interest Group on Computing at Community Colleges (ACM)
- Saskatchewan Indian Gaming Authority
Samples in periodicals archive:
In November, nearly 50 school children were killed when a train smashed into their bus in central Egypt after a railway signal operator fell asleep, prompting protests and resignations.
A signal operator with Yankee company, 45 Marine Commando, Mne Laski was one of 80 marines taking part in a search of suspected enemy compounds outside forward operating base (FOB) Inkerman when insurgents opened fire.
Police say a signal operator had been in control of the barriers at the time.
Paramedics treated a signal operator, train driver and passengers at the scene for shock.
While drivers, conductors, maintenance workers, and now signal operators have all taken separate industrial action during the last two years, they have not been able to present a united front towards the management," Bjorklund says.
Signal operator Gavin, 25, only had a few days with Frankie, his first child, after wife Ashley gave birth in January at the regiment's base in Munster, Germany.