A geosynchronous orbit, for those of you who aren't yet conversant, is one with an orbital period of one sidereal day.
What does SD stand for?
SD stands for Sidereal Day (orbital mechanics)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of SD
We have 158 other meanings of SD in our Acronym Attic
- Sheriff's Department
- Shine-Dalgarno (genetics sequence)
- Shinedown (band)
- Shipping Date
- Shipping Department
- Shivan Destroyer (FreeSpace 2 game)
- Shoulder-Disarticulation (amputation)
- Siamese Dream (Smashing Pumpkins album)
- Sicherheitsdienst (German Security Department, WWII)
Samples in periodicals archive:
1s and sidereal time is a time system based on this, with one sidereal day being 23h 56m 04.
Heatrow beat Ample Note by three-length while Regalle was third and Sidereal Day fourth.
Jockey Gerald Avranche steered the favourite, owned by Al Nasseriyeh and trained by Alan Smith, past Danish Express while Thaqib was third and Sidereal Day fourth.
As well the experiment was performed over 178 days, making it possible to measure with an accuracy of 25 s the period of the phase signal to be the sidereal day (23 hr 56 min).
But Muthaqaf, owned by Fawzi Abdulla Nass, trained by Fawzi Nass and to be ridden by M O Callaghan, is expected to beat Thaqib and Sidereal Day for the top prize.
As well the experiment was performed over 178 days, making it possible to measure with accuracy ([+ or -]25 s) the period of the phase signal to be the sidereal day (23 h 56 min), thus permitting to conclude that absolute motion had been detected, even with apparent turbulence.
3) there are two peaks--one corresponds to sidereal day (1436 minutes), the second, which is less expressed, corresponds to solar day (1440 minutes).