Asynchronous hermaphroditism refers to sex reversal after spawning (Heller 1993, Eversole 2001, Gosling 2004).
What does SXR stand for?
SXR stands for Sex Reversal
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of SXR
We have 8 other meanings of SXR in our Acronym Attic
- Nunam Iqua, Alaska (Airport Code; formerly Sheldon Point)
- SGT (Security Group Tag) Exchange Protocol (Cisco)
- Simple Extensible Pipeline (computer architecture)
- Simple XML (Extensible Markup Language) Persistence (programming)
- SlowXPress (website)
- Solar X-Ray Photometer
- Simple X Protocol Compressor
- Soft X-Ray Projection Lithography
- Soft X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy
- Simple XML (Extensible Markup Language) Query Language
Samples in periodicals archive:
London, July 21 (ANI): Researchers have discovered a gene, which maintains male sex throughout life - a breakthrough that can help shed light on the origin of some human sex reversal disorders.
Production of ZZ females in the female-heterogametic black molly, Poecilia sphenops, by endocrine sex reversal and progeny testing.
However, whether this increase is the direct cause of sex reversal is unknown.
Vajda and his colleagues are now looking to tie the gender bending of fish to particular pollutants and to find out whether the extra downstream females are the products of a selective die-off of males or a pollutant-triggered sex reversal.
Numerous studies have indicated that exogenous estrogens can initiate the sex reversal of males to females (at male-producing temperatures) during embryonic development in reptiles with temperature-dependent sex determination (TSD).
The gonads of 27 transitional specimens contained both degenerating spermatogenic and developing ovarian tissue, and sex reversal was observed in captive common snook.