Insulin resistance and high insulin blood levels, which accompany PCOS, contribute to hyperandrogenism by increasing production of ovarian androgen and decreasing the synthesis of sex hormone binding globulin.
What does SHBG stand for?
SHBG stands for Sex Hormone Binding Globulin
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of SHBG
We have 1 other meaning of SHBG in our Acronym Attic
- South Hills Bible Chapel (McMurray, Pennsylvania)
- Southern Hills Baptist Church (various locations)
- State Health Benefits Commission (New Jersey)
- State Historical Building Code (California)
- Surrey Heath Borough Council (UK)
- Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
- Sugar House Business District (Salt Lake City, UT)
- Scottish Health Boards' Dental Epidemiological Programme (Scotland, UK)
- Saskatchewan Home Based Educators (Canada)
- Single Housing Benefit Extract (UK)
- Steroid Hormone Binding Globuline
- Safe Harbor Boys Home (Jacksonville, FL)
- Single-Handed Backhand (tennis)
- Stichting Historie Brandweer Hengelo (Dutch fire history foundation)
- Sequential Half Body Irradiation
- South Houston Bible Institute (Texas)
- Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Institute of Education (Brunei Darussalam)
- Small Hope Bay Lodge (Bahamas)
- South Hollis Branch Library (Jamaica, NY)
- Squirrel Hill Branch Library (Pittsburgh, PA)
Samples in periodicals archive:
GTx also said the drug increased levels of sex hormone binding globulin, a protein that binds to testosterone, thus reducing levels of free testosterone--the form of the hormone prostate cancer cells use for growth.
The Access Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) assay is for use in the differential diagnosis of conditions of chronic or excessive androgenic activity.
The US researchers measured women's levels of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), a protein that ties up testosterone and prevents it being used in the body.
The pill curbs the hormone's production and also raise levels of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG).
Artery diameter was measured using Bmode ultrasound, and sex-hormone tests evaluated levels of estrogen, testosterone, FSH, sex hormone binding globulin, the free androgen index, testosterone not bound by sex hormone binding globulin, and androgen excess.