Sertraline latches on to a molecule called the serotonin transporter, part of which sits on nerve cells and slurps up serotonin.
What does SERT stand for?
SERT stands for Serotonin Transporter
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of SERT
We have 33 other meanings of SERT in our Acronym Attic
- Southeastern Regional Seminar in African Studies
- South East Regional Service Center
- Servicios de Seguridad Consolidados (Spanish, Guatemala)
- Series of Events on Relations in the Sun-Earth System and Space Weather
- SATCOM Engineering Response Team
- School Emergency Response Team
- Seabee Engineering Reconnaissance Team (US DoD)
- Secretary's Emergency Response Team
- Security Emergency Response Team
- Seratonin Transporter
- Server Efficiency Rating Tool
- Sheriff's Emergency Response Team
- SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center) Emergency Response Team
- Societe d'Etudes et de Realisations Techniques (French)
- Software Engineering Research and Technology
- Space Electric Rocket Test
- Space Electrochemical Research and Technology
- Space Exploration and Research Team (UK)
- Special Education Resource Teacher (Canada)
- Special Emergency Response Team
Samples in periodicals archive:
The effect of life stress on depression is moderated by a repeat length variation in the transcriptional control region of the serotonin transporter gene, which renders carriers of the short variant vulnerable for depression.
Among their topics are the serotonin transporter gene and its implications for studying complex disease and traits, neurobiological mechanisms supporting gene-environment interaction effects, marital dynamics and child proaction, promoting resilience in maltreated children, shaping society through social policy, and some lessons from eugenics and the race-intelligence debates for gene-environment studies in the era of full-genome sequencing.
The serotonin transporter (SERT) is probably the most widely studied gene in psychiatry11.
McInnes and colleagues sought to assess the functional effects of anti-TNF-alpha therapy on the brains of depressed patients with RA, and determined that TNF-alpha blockade mediates altered serotonin transporter availability and induces an improvement in depression measures.
Some areas examined include selective serotonin agonists for the acute management of migraine, dual inhibitors of acetylcholinesterase and serotonin transporter targeting potential agents for Alzheimer's disease, and applying control system modeling to understand how genetic variation influences serotonin function and behavior.
29] 9:00 MUTATION OF AN ASPARAGINE IN THE FIRST TRANSMEMBRANE DOMAIN OF THE HUMAN SEROTONIN TRANSPORTER RESULTS IN ENERGETIC UNCOUPLING OF NA FROM SEROTONIN TRANSPORT.
Brain scans on 88 volunteers showed that a protein known as a serotonin transporter, which clears serotonin from the brain, is more active in autumn and winter.