A nutrient approach to prostate cancer prevention: The Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT).
What does SELECT stand for?
SELECT stands for Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of SELECT
We have 3 other meanings of SELECT in our Acronym Attic
- Social Education Language & Development Association
- Space Environment Laboratory Data Acquisition and Display System
- Systematic ELement & Database EXtensions
- Southeast European Legal Development Initiative (est. 1999)
- Surface Enhanced Laser Desorption/Ionization
- Surface-Enhanced Laser Desorption/Ionization Time-Of-Flight
- Surface-enhanced laser desorption-ionization affinity mass spectrometry
- Shielded Enclosure Leak Detection System (electromagnetics)
- Selectin E
- Southeast Law Enforcement Alliance Project
- Special Education Learning Experiences for Competency in Teaching (Arizona)
- Supporting Electronic Learning and Essential Campus Transitions (Louisiana Board of Regents)
- Safety of Estrogens in Lupus Erythematosus National Assessment (study)
- Selenological and Engineering Explorer
- Spatially Explicit Landscape Event Simulator
- Study of Extremely Low Emission Vehicles (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Segmented Large X (baryon spectrometer)
- Systematic Evolution of Ligands By Exponential Enrichment
- Science Education and Learning in Freedom (EU)
- Self-Employment Loan Fund
Samples in periodicals archive:
The US study was a follow-up of Select, the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial, which originally recruited more than 35,000 men to see if the supplements could help prevent prostate cancer.
Reasons for the current stagnation of progress include failure of the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT) to show preventive activity of selenium and vitamin E; the failure of a high-risk phase III study to show preventive activity of selenized yeast; the refusal of the Food and Drug Administration to approve finasteride for prostate cancer prevention; and uncertainty regarding the long-term effects of treatment with 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, according to Dr.
In fact one which recently finished, the selenium and vitamin E cancer prevention trial (SELECT), showed a higher incidence of prostate cancer in those men who took alpha-tocopherol supplementation.
This study - the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT) - was conducted by the American Medical Association.
In the larger Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (Select), 35,533 men from the US, Canada and Puerto Rico, were randomly assigned to take either selenium, vitamin E, both selenium and vitamin E, or an inactive placebo.
In late October, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) decided to halt the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT) because an initial, independent review of study data showed that selenium and vitamin E supplements, taken either alone or together, did not prevent prostate cancer.
What to do: The Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT) on 35,000 men--which is looking primarily at prostate cancer--will also examine selenium's impact on colon cancer risk.