The devices ed es were created by the Sea Mammal Research Unit at St Andrews University and use hydrophones in the water to monitor noise levels.
What does SMRU stand for?
SMRU stands for Sea Mammal Research Unit (University of St. Andrews; St. Andrews, UK)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of SMRU
We have 5 other meanings of SMRU in our Acronym Attic
- Submucosal Resection of the Turbinate (nasal procedure)
- Surface-Mount and Reflow Technology (engineering)
- Seoul Metropolitan Rapid Transit Corporation (South Korea)
- Single Missile Round Transport Container (US DoD)
- Southern Maryland Regional Training Center (firefighting training; LaPlata, MD)
- Surveillance/Reconnaissance Management Tool Database
- Seishin Mizu Ryu Tatakai Jutsu (Water Mind School of Battlefield Arts)
- Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory (University of Utah)
- Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners (United Nations)
- Standardized Medical Readiness Training System
- Second Most Recently Used
- Shoklo Malaria Research Unit (Mahidol-Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit; Mahidol University; Bangkok, Thailand)
- Society for Male Reproduction and Urology (Birmingham, AL)
- Surplus Materials Retention Unit (Storage Room) :-)
- Small Multiple Reentry Vehicle
- Squirrel Monkey Retrovirus
- Smoky Mountain Romance Writers (Knoxville, TN)
- Striated Muscle Ring Zinc Finger Protein
- D Subminiature Standard (connector)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The wardens have informed Dr Ailsa Hall, senior research scientist with the Sea Mammal Research Unit in Scotland.
Scientists at the Sea Mammal Research Unit at St Andrews University had known propellers were killing the mammals but could not work out what was attracting them to the danger off the coast of Scotland.
Professor Ian Boyd, director of the NERC Sea Mammal Research Unit at the University of St Andrews, said: 'The law is already adequate to allow for total protection, depending on how the Government wants to use it.
The project, based on Siemens Mobile technology, will involve the University of St Andrews Sea Mammal Research Unit (SMRU), a world leader in the study of seal ecology, developing special tags which will collect and relay dive and position information from grey seals and 'text message' the data back to St Andrews when they return to land after feeding trips.
wondered Martin, a scientist at the Natural Environment Research Council's Sea Mammal Research Unit in Cambridge, England.
Scot land's env i ronment secretary, Richard Lochhead, has called in the Sea Mammal Research Unit at St Andrews University to investigate.
The Sea Mammal Research Unit warned the islands' population of common seals has dropped by more than a third to fewer than 4,000 since 1997.