The introduction of what are known as scatterable land mines also marked a fresh escalation of the munitions used by the Qaddafi forces in this siege.
What does S stand for?
S stands for Scatterable (mines)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of S
- S Sub-Shell (innermost electron subshell)
- Sacral Vertebra (prefix, as in S-1)
- Sacrifice (baseball)
- Safety (football)
- San Francisco, CA (mint mark)
- Saskatchewan (postal code designation, Canada)
- Satellite (imagery, type of map)
- Save (baseball)
- Savings (economics)
Samples in periodicals archive:
78) It argued that Psychological Operations (Psyops) personnel should utilize a range of technologies to disseminate propaganda in enemy territory, including unmanned aerial vehicles, miniaturized, scatterable public address systems, wireless devices, cellular phones and the Internet, and called for the US military to "Fight the net" as it would an enemy weapons system.
The family of conventional munitions includes small caliber, grenades, propellant charges, pyrotechnics, mortar, artillery, tank, rocket, scatterable mines, Navy gun, and bombs.
Wide-area surveillance from FBCT and divisional assets, and route reconnaissance by combined arms battalion assets, will identify changes from previous reconnaissance, thus identifying recently emplaced buried or surface-laid scatterable mines or the emplacement of IEDs to cue the ground mine-detection-equipped UGV.
Planned locations of friendly FASCAM (family of scatterable mines).
The maneuver commander often requires special munitions: smoke, illumination and scatterable mines.
The 155mm non line-of-sight variant will employ the XM 982 GPS-guided Excalibur and next generation scatterable mines.