Sodium channel mutation leading to saxitoxin resistance in clams increases risk of PSP.
What does STX stand for?
STX stands for Saxitoxin (toxin)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of STX
We have 16 other meanings of STX in our Acronym Attic
- Stuve-Wiedemann Syndrome
- Small Towns Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Project (Nepal)
- Science and Technology Working Team
- Submaximal Treadmill Walk Test (cardiorespiratory fitness)
- Santa Teresa Water Treatment Plant (San Jose, CA)
- Semiconductor Technology Workshop Working Group
- Send Teletype-Writer Exchange Message (message type used with DMNE Defense Messaging Network Element)
- Stopway (FAA)
- Sales Tax
Samples in periodicals archive:
Sometime later, he discovered that an Uzbek warlord employed his technique to generate a large quantity of saxitoxin and then used it to poison hundreds of people.
The team looked at blooms of Alexandrium catenella, more commonly known as "red tide," which produces saxitoxin, a poison that can accumulate in shellfish.
Kao, Tetrodotoxin, Saxitoxin and Their Significance in the Study of Excitation Phenomena, 18 PHARMACOLOGICAL REVIEWS 997, 998 (1966).
We propose characterizing this food poisoning syndrome as saxitoxin puffer fish poisoning (SPFP) to distinguish it from PFP, which is traditionally associated with tetrodotoxin, and from PSP caused by STXs in shellfish.
For material, we choose heavyweight T-shirts similar to the 2-ply battle dress uniform T-shirts used for protective masks against ricin and saxitoxin in mouse experiments (8).
Saxitoxin and other PSTs are potent neurotoxins that block movement of sodium through sodium channels in nerve cell membranes, halting the flow of nerve impulses and thereby causing paralysis.
Saxitoxin blocks sodium channels in nerve and muscle, which arrests impulse conduction and can suppress atrioventricular node conduction.