Although the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale was not developed until 1971, meteorologists studying the effects of the New England Hurricane of 1938 know it was a Category 5 storm while over the ocean and made landfall on Long Island as a strong Category 3 storm.
What does SSHS stand for?
SSHS stands for Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of SSHS
We have 23 other meanings of SSHS in our Acronym Attic
- Self Service Human Resources
- Sex Steroid Hormone Receptor (endocrinology)
- Single-Switch Hybrid Rectifier
- Stress-Sensitive Hypertensive Rats
- Support Staff Human Resources (University of Alberta; Canada)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- Southern Sudan Human Rights Commission
- Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- Secretariat Staff Human Resources Office
- Safe School Healthy Students (various locations)
- Saint Stephens High School
- South Salem High School (Salem, Oregon)
- South Side High School (Fort Wayne, Indiana)
- South Spencer High School (Rockport, IN)
- South Suburban Humane Society (Chicago Heights, IL)
- Southport State High School (Queensland, Australia)
- Spanish Springs High School (Spanish Springs, NV)
- Standish Sterling High School (Michigan)
- Specialized Science High Schools Admissions Test
- Solomon Schechter High School of Long Island (New York)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The KC Wind Damage Scale differs from the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale used to categorize hurricanes.
The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale is a rating used to give an estimate of possible property damage and flooding expected along a coast when a hurricane strikes land.