Ernest Rutherford, Niels Bohr, and Lise Meitner finished their final experiments years ago, but all live on - in the periodic table of the elements - with rutherfordium, bohrium and meitnerium.
What does RF stand for?
RF stands for Rutherfordium (element 104)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of RF
We have 54 other meanings of RF in our Acronym Attic
- Ronnie Fieg (Designer; New York)
- Roskilde Festival (Danish music festival)
- Rossiyskaya Federatsiya (Russian Federation)
- Rotary Foundation
- Royal Family (UK)
- Royal Flush (cards)
- Royal Fusiliers (WWI British Army regiment)
- Rumble Fighter (online gaming)
- Rural Friends
- Russian Federation
- US Revenue Playing Cards (Scott Catalogue prefix; philately)
- Drone Radio Frequency Electronics Enhancement Mechanism
- Radio Frequency Electronic Article Surveillance
- Radio Frequency Portable Input Terminal System
- Radio Frequency Signature Augmentation System
- Reactor Fuels and Materials
- Richmond Freelance and Prototype Model Railroaders Club
- Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad
- Reaction Force (Air)
- Reaction Forces (Air) Staff
Samples in periodicals archive:
Lawrencium, Rutherfordium, Dubnium, Seaborgium, Bohrium .
Jeremy Morse offers the following coinages to fill Darryl Francis's gaps: KURCHATOVIUM Tchaikovsky's church music MENDELEVIUM eleven medium [a shoe size] JOLIOTIUM majority in council [Byron, 1 Foscari, I, 1,370] RUTHERFORDIUM mid-fourth quarter [economic jargon] UNNILHEXIUM four million six hundred UNNILPENTIUM multiple punning UNNILQUADIUM unqualified bunkum [how some readers may classify these offerings
In February, the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) released a new roster of proposed names for the elements numbered 104 to 109: rutherfordium (104), dubnium (105), seaborgium (106), bohrium (107), hassium (108), and meitnerium (109).
Sir Jeremy Morse independently suggested FIREMOUTHED for rutherfordium.
IUPAC's recommended element names revealed Atomic Voting number Name Symbol in favor(a) 101 Mendelevium Md 20 102 Nobelium No 20 103 Lawrencium Lr 20 104 Dubnium Db 19 105 Joliotium Jl 18 106 Rutherfordium Rf 18 107 Bohrium Bh 20 108 Hahnium Hn 19 109 Meitnerium Mt 20 (a)Voters were the 20 members of the International Union of Pure & Applied Chemistry's Commission on Nomenclature of Inorganic Chemistry.
The scientists checked the element's presence by measuring alpha particle emissions as it decayed to form the "daughter" and "granddaughter" elements rutherfordium and nobelium.
Twenty-two element names failed to produce any words using the same letter banks: berkelium, beryllium, bohrium, dubnium, hafnium, holmium, joliotium, krypton, kurehatovium, mendelevium, molybdenum, neodymium, niobium, nobelium, promethium, rutherfordium, unnilhexium, vanadium, wolfram, ytterbium, yttrium, zirconium.