A number of Member States have created focal points on the responsibility to protect or internal inter-agency structures for the prevention of atrocity crimes, such as the American Government's Atrocities Prevention Board.
What does R2P stand for?
R2P stands for Responsibility to Protect (New York, NY)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of R2P
We have 1 other meaning of R2P in our Acronym Attic
- Resistance to Interrogation (military technique)
- Return to India
- Road to Jerusalem
- Return to Kogarah (Australia; rugby)
- Radix-2 Multipath Delay Commutator
- REWERSE I1 Rule Markup Language
- Resource Requirements Management System
- Research to Operations
- Requisition to Pay (business process)
- Research to Practice (US CDC; Cincinnati, OH)
- Right to Protect
- Rapid Response Planning Process (USMC)
- Rapid Retargeting and Precision Pointing
- Redd Rockett's Pizza Port (Anaheim, CA)
- Resource Recovery and Protection Plan
- Reunite RiaAnn, Philicia, and Philicity
- Run, Run, Pass, Punt (football)
- Region 2 Planning Commission
- Resonant Two-Photon Ionization
- Responsibility to Protect from Terrorism (Sri Lanka)
Samples in periodicals archive:
INTRODUCTION Through ten years of contentious debate, the responsibility to protect has proven to be both one of the most promising recent developments in international affairs and one of the most disappointing.
The commission concluded that states have a responsibility to protect their citizens, and should be helped to do so by peaceful means, but that if a state disregarded that responsibility by attacking its own citizens, the international community could consider armed intervention.
ON 23 JULY 2009, THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY CONVENED TO consider the concept of Responsibility to Protect (R2P).
So the responsibility to protect is in many ways an African contribution to human rights.
Ban said "I now look forward to further deepening our dialogue on how best to implement the responsibility to protect, building on the important debate the General Assembly held in late July" when Member States, especially those that had suffered such traumas, made "particularly meaningful" statements.
Adam March 30, 2009 -- Following great concern at the appalling decision by the National Congress Party (NCP) that led to the expulsion of 13 national and international NGOs and the slowly unfolding humanitarian disaster in the troubled region of Darfur it is high time that UNSC re-invoke the Responsibility to Protect (R2P) Darfuri IDPs as a matter of urgency.