The Registro Nacional de las Personas (RENAP), set up in 2007 to produce the new DPI, has been plagued with corruption and is currently under investigation by the attorney general's office (Ministerio Publico, MP), after former RENAP director Enrique Cossich alerted the authorities about the possible forgery of ID cards (NotiCen, 2010-07-21) Delays in production of the DPI have also meant that it is likely that the government's original target of replacing the cedula by the end of this year, in time for the 2011 elections, will not be met.
What does RENAP stand for?
RENAP stands for Registro Nacional de las Personas (National Civil Registry, Guatemala)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Real Estate Network Association (California)
- Real Estate News Agency (Dubai, UAE)
- Riverside Edgecombe Neighborhood Association (New York)
- Rogers Road-Eubanks Neighborhood Association (Chapel HIll, NC)
- Rat Lung Epithelial Na (Sodium) Channel
- Renewables Academy
- Registro Nacional de Carteiras de Habilitação (Portuguese: National Registry of Driver's Licenses; Brazil)
- Registro Nacional de Leyes Nacidas Muertas (Spanish: National Register of Unborn Dead Laws; Guatemala)
- Research and Educational Networking Association of Moldova (Republic of Moldova)
- Resistência Nacional Moçambicana (Mozambique Mozambique National Resistance; political party)
- Registro Nacional de Población e Identificación Personal (Spanish: National Census and Personal Identification Registry; Mexico)
- Registro Nacional de Armas (Argentina)
- Regional Environmental and Natural Resource Management Project (USAID)
- Registro Nacional de Agresores Sexuales (Spanish: National Registry of Sexual Aggressors; Guatemala)
- Réseau National de Surveillance Sismique (France)
- Reseau National de Télécommunication Pour l'Enseignement et La Recherche (French: National Communication Network for Education and Research.
- Risked Exploration Net Asset Value (finance)
- Registro Nacional de Veículos Automotores (Portuguese: National Registry of Motor Vehicles; Brazil)
- Registro Nacional de Vehículos-México
- Regional Electronic Navigational Chart Coordinating Center (Polish Navy)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The Registro Nacional de las Personas (RENAP) was created in 2007 with the aim of producing a new form of ID card using the latest biometric technology that would replace the "cédula de vecindad," a small booklet containing a citizen's photograph, fingerprint, and personal information, which can be easily forged and purchased on the black market for up to 8,000 quetzales (US$1003).