The diplomatic skills of Scott McNealy, the chief executive of computer giant Sun Microsystems, swing into action as he responds to concerns over privacy raised by the use of Processor Serial Numbers (PSNs) in computer chips.
What does PSN stand for?
PSN stands for Processor Serial Number (Intel Pentium III)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Information technology (IT) and computers
See other definitions of PSN
We have 173 other meanings of PSN in our Acronym Attic
- Polygonal Switching Network
- Position Switched Network
- Power Sports Network (Wisconsin)
- Pre-Solicitation Notice (US Department of Interior; National Park Service)
- Presacral Neurectomy
- Primary Service Node
- Private Sector Network (business network)
- Probability, Stress, Number of Life Cycles
- Processing Sequence Number
- Product Serial Number
- Production Services Network (gas/oil services company; Aberdeen, Scotland)
- Professional Services Network, Inc (Silver Spring, MD)
- Progressive States Network (politics)
- Project Safe Neighborhoods
- Promote Safe Navigation (US NOAA)
- Promotion Sequence Number
- Proper Shipping Name (hazardous materials)
- Property Sheet Notification (Microsoft Windows programming)
- Provider Service Network
Samples in periodicals archive:
Learning from Intel Corp's problems with its processor serial numbers earlier this year, IBM has gone to privacy advocate groups to check out its strategy, and says it has satisfied the groups by making personalization and trust relationships user controlled.
Most analysts consider the Pentium III not as a full next-generation architecture, but as a Pentium II with additional 3D graphics instructions, currently mostly of interest to games developers, and the processor serial number security feature, which is currently causing Intel all sorts of trouble (see separate story).
The processor serial number will be added to the CPUs at the time of manufacture, and will be uniquely burned in.