When these normal cellular prion precursors convert to pathogenic prion proteins, the transmissible conformations are characterized by [beta]-pleated sheets rather than the normal [alpha]-helix structure, and they do not elicit an immune response (4).
What does PRNP stand for?
PRNP stands for Prion Protein
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of PRNP
We have 2 other meanings of PRNP in our Acronym Attic
- Power Range Nuclear Instrument
- Peoples' Republic of New Jersey
- People's Republic of North Korea
- Petroleum Research Newfoundland & Labrador (Canada)
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (Munising, MI)
- Pipeline Recurrent Neural Network (wireless communications)
- Press Release News Network
- Pacific Regional Network Operation Center
- Petition for the Review of the Need for Placement (Denver, CO)
- Pollution and Natural Resources Program
- Pacific Rim National Park Reserve (Canada)
- Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services (California)
- Partially Resolved Numerical Simulation (aeronautics)
- Point Reyes National Seashore (California)
- Power Rangers Ninja Storm (TV show)
- Programs of Regional and National Significance (Center for Substance Abuse Prevention)
- Pseudo Random Noise Sequence
- Point Reyes National Seashore Association
- Plaque Reduction Neutralization Test
- Party of Romanian National Unity (est. 1990; Romania)
Samples in periodicals archive:
They then tested whether infectious prion proteins retained the ability to misfold normal proteins in vitro.
RT-QuIC, developed in recent years, detects when normal prion protein converts to an abnormal form The resulting test-which they call enhanced QuIC (eQuIC)-improves prospects for routinely detecting low levels of abnormal prions in tissues, fluids or environmental samples such as soil.
To date, every person confirmed as having vCJD has had a particular "homozygous" form of the human prion protein gene known as MM.
But scientists from the Medical Research Council stopped the spread of disease by genetically switching off production of normal prion protein.
Prion protein is a natural cellular protein that can become misfolded into infectious particles and cause bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, or "mad cow disease") and a lethal variant of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) in humans.
22 Kyodo (EDS: UPDATING WITH RELEASE OF STUDY AT SOCIETY IN 2ND GRAF) A team of researchers said Tuesday that they recently succeeded in delaying the onset of symptoms of prion disease, widely known for brain-wasting effects in mad cow disease, by inoculating mice with normal prion proteins taken from other animals.