The new drug Stendra, the brand name for avanafil, is the first new erectile dysfunction drug in a decade for this class of drugs called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors.
What does PDE5 stand for?
PDE5 stands for Phosphodiesterase Type 5
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Project Dive Exploration (Divers Alert Network)
- Project/Program Director, Electronics
- Projected Operational Environment
- Propagation Delay Estimation
- Provincial Department of Education (various locations)
- Pseudo Death Experience
- Pulse Detonation Engine
- Purely Domestic Enterprise (finance)
- Pyridoxine-Dependent Epilepsy
- Phosphodiesterase 4b
- Phosphodiesterase 6B
- Paisley & District Evangelical Alliance (UK)
- Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency
- Piracy Deterrence and Education Act
- Planning, Decision, Execution and Assessment
- Preliminary Draft Environmental Assessment
- Public Domain Enhancement Act
- Provincial Department of Economic Affairs and Tourism (South Africa)
- Para diethylbenzene
- Prevention Development and Evaluation Branch (ASPH)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Tests conducted by the agency "have revealed an alarming variety of undeclared active ingredients in products marketed as dietary supplements," including phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors, such as sildenafil; anticoagulants, such as warfarin; beta-blockers, such as propranolol; and anticonvulsants, such as phenytoin, the letter said.
The results demonstrated a beneficial effect of sildenafil on the pulmonary circulation, indicating a possible therapeutic role of the phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors in such cases.
The company also initiated a clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of TA-1790, a fast acting, highly selective, potent oral phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitor, in men with ED.