Magnetic fields exist around many items we commonly carry with us on the hill - mobiles, avalanche transceivers, radios, personal locator beacons, GPS, cameras, car keys, small magnets on belt fastenings and underwired bras.
What does PLB stand for?
PLB stands for Personal Locator Beacon (see SARBE)
This definition appears very frequently
See other definitions of PLB
We have 63 other meanings of PLB in our Acronym Attic
- Participate in the Lives of America's Youth (Nike)
- Pennsylvania League of Angling Youth (est. 1981)
- People of Leather Among You (Los Angeles, CA)
- Positive Leisure Activities for Youth (Canada)
- Project Literacy Among Youth
- Promoting Lifetime Activity for Youth (Arizona Department of Public Health)
- Parti Louvri Baryé (French: Open the Gate Party, Haiti)
- Passenger Loading Bridge (airport)
- Patrick Lew Band
- Payload Bay
- Phospholamban (cardiac calcium regulation)
- Pipe Lay Barge
- Planning and Landing Bureau (Hong Kong)
- Planning and Lands Bureau (Hong Kong)
- Plattsburgh, NY, USA (Airport Code)
- Polabian (linguistics)
- Posterior Lateral Branch (cardiology)
- Power Line Broadband (FCC)
- Premier League Board (Ghana)
- Privacy and Legislation Branch (Office of the Government Chief Information Officer; Canada)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Electronic Devices: Handheld VHF, GPS, personal locator beacon (PLB).
This month it became legal to use personal locator beacons (PLBs) on land.
Last month Ofcom introduced legislation to allow small radio devices called Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs) to be used on land to alert rescue teams by satellite.
Since becoming available for public use in 2003, the price of personal locator beacons has fallen significantly and they are now standard fare for outdoor adventurers wanting the peace of mind that rescuers are just one button away.
BP's Bernard Looney said those on board had not been wearing personal locator beacons but that would have made little difference.
After administering first aid, he realised he had either not brought his personal locator beacon with him or it had been lost in the fall.