Signaling System 7 is an architecture for performing out-of-band signaling in support of the call-establishment, billing, routing and information-exchange functions of the PSTN (public switched telephone network).
What does OBS stand for?
OBS stands for Out-of-Band Signaling
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Information technology (IT) and computers
See other definitions of OBS
We have 143 other meanings of OBS in our Acronym Attic
- Orange Business Service (France Telecom)
- Organic Brain Syndrome
- Organization(al) Breakdown Structure
- Original Bunker Scene (Downfall parodies)
- Orlando Ballet School (Florida, USA)
- Osaka Bible Seminary (Japan)
- OSIS Baseline System
- Other Basic Sciences
- Out of Balance Switch
- Out of the Box Search (software)
- Outdoor Base Station (wireless networking solution)
- Outward Bound Sabah (educational organization; Sabah, Malaysia)
- Outward Bound School
- Outward Bound Singapore
- Oxford Biosignals Ltd
- Optical Burst Switching in Just Enough Time
- Optimized Basis Set-MultiConfiguration Spin Coupled
- Obligation à Bon de Souscription d'Action (French: Bond Purchase Underwriting Agenda)
- Observatory of Sustainability in Aviation (Spain; est. 2007)
- Off-Balance Sheet Activity
Samples in periodicals archive:
Control information is transmitted either as short predefined bit sequences that are distinguishable from data, in packet format, or using out-of-band signaling (control signals sent using on/off signal pulses, similar to Morse code), and thus does not require separate transmission lines.
Out-of-band signaling between switches reduces the network's susceptibility to fraud.
A Fujitsu terminal adapter strips 8 kb/s off the ISDN and puts the out-of-band signaling back in-band.