Whole capabilities are absent, such as maritime patrol and long range electronic reconnaissance, while the loss of the Harrier GR9 fleet has left the nation with no sea-borne offensive air support, as well as a serious reduction in numbers of close air support aircraft vital in operations such as Libya or Afghanistan, he said.
What does OAS stand for?
OAS stands for Offensive Air Support
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of OAS
We have 236 other meanings of OAS in our Acronym Attic
- Oakland Army Terminal
- Office of Advanced Research and Technology
- Oceanic Air Route Tracking System
- Ontario Association of Residences Treating Youth (Canada)
- 2'-5' oligoadenylate synthetase
- Obstacle Avoidance Sonar
- Obstacle Avoidance System
- Occupied Areas Section (US DoD)
- Oceanic Automation System
- Odisha Administrative Service (India)
- Offensive Avionics System
- Office Automation Software
- Office Automation System
- Office of Academic Services (various schools)
- Office of Addiction Services (Philadelphia, PA)
- Office of Administrative Services
- Office of Administrative Support (US FEMA)
- Office of Aerospace Studies
- Office of Aircraft Services
- Office of Applied Studies (SAMHSA)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The offensive Air Support involved all type of fighters including SU-30 MKI.
Hughes, USMC MOTTO: "Have Guns, Will Travel" MISSION: Support the Marine air-ground task force commander by providing offensive air support, utility support, armed escort, and airborne supporting arms coordination, day or night, under all weather conditions during expeditionary, joint, or combined operations.
The superiority of equipment is most critical in armoured cars, armoured personnel carriers and offensive air support which could immobilise our forces.
The offensive Air Support will involve all type of fighters including SU-30.
The exercise focused on integrating the MQ-1 Predator Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) of the 11th Reconnaissance Squadron with AV-8B Harrier IIs from VMA-513 in an offensive air support role.
Traditionally, air force missions in support of the ground forces have consisted of offensive air support, armed reconnaissance, and tactical air reconnaissance.