Major non-playable characters are given substantial amounts of dialogue, although the player's character remains silent.
What does NPC stand for?
NPC stands for Non-Playable Characters (role playing games)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Slang/chat, popular culture
See other definitions of NPC
We have 403 other meanings of NPC in our Acronym Attic
- Nitrogen Purge Control (US NASA)
- Niue Power Corporation (Niue Island, New Zealand)
- No Patient Contact (medical)
- No Periodic Calibration
- Noise Pollution Clearinghouse
- Noise Pollution Control (Canada)
- Non Profit Commons (Second Life video game)
- Non-Cooperative Power Control
- Non-Deterministic Polynomial-Time Complete
- Non-Permanent Change (US Navy)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Developers Bethesda have been criticised in the past for scripting wooden, non-playable characters, but Skyrim shows them making a real effort.
An enchanting story, littered with likeable non-playable characters is bolstered by an extremely robust turn-based battle control system, which benefits from the huge levels of customisation permitted.
This is the 'depth' I'm talking about: Interaction with non-playable characters offers rewarding play too.