With the small near-Earth asteroid flyby happening on February 15 as well as the meteorite that broke apart over Russia, space objects crashing into Earth is a hot topic.
What does NEA stand for?
NEA stands for Near-Earth Asteroid
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of NEA
We have 158 other meanings of NEA in our Acronym Attic
- National Education Association
- National Electrification Administration (Philippines)
- National Employment Association
- National Endowment for the Arts
- National Energy Act of 1978
- National Energy Administration (various locations)
- National Enterprise Academy (UK)
- National Environment Agency (Singapore)
- National Erectors Association
- Naval Exercise Area
Samples in periodicals archive:
7 lunar distances from Earth-similar to near-Earth asteroid LZ1 which zoomed past us unexpectedly mid-June," he added.
Because the method requires several years of advance warning, it could also inspire more-detailed surveys of near-Earth asteroids, he adds.
In late March, the House Science Committee passed a bill that would help discover near-Earth asteroids.
Near-Earth Asteroids are asteroids that (A) orbit 1,000 kilometers from Earth.
Dr Benny Peiser said he has found Near-Earth Asteroids (NEAs) travel so fast that the chances of one hitting Earth with no warning is likely to become minute.
But scientists didn't know about it until days after it passed, when NASA's new "Sentry" system, which constantly tracks 37 near-Earth asteroids, revealed it was just 40,000miles away from the moon.