23, when 154,873 were conducted by the FBI National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).
What does NICS stand for?
NICS stands for National Instant Criminal Background Check System
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of NICS
We have 38 other meanings of NICS in our Acronym Attic
- Negotiated Indirect Cost Recovery Agreement
- Newcastle Inner City Residents Alliance (Newcastle, Australia)
- Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association
- Navy/Industry Cooperative Research And Development
- National Information Centre on Retirement Investments (Australia)
- Navy Integrated Comprehensive Repairable Item Scheduling Program
- Natural Infrastructure Capabilities & Requirements Management
- Northern Ireland Clinical Research Network (Belfast, Ireland, UK)
- National Institutes for Clinical Research into Stress (UK)
- National Identity Cards Scheme (UK)
- National Institute for Chemical Studies
- National Intelligence Computer System
- National Inventory Control System
- National Islamic Committee on Scouting
- NATO Integrated Communications System
- Near Infrared Camera Spectrometer
- Network of International Christian Schools
- Newly Industrialized Countries
- Next-Generation Incident Command System (emergency response)
- Nomenclature Identification and Configuration System
Samples in periodicals archive:
And the National Instant Criminal Background Check System maintained by the FBI has its own loopholes.
For the 25th straight month, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) reports an increase in checks compared to the same month during the past two years.
Categories: May 5, 2010, Accountability, Background investigations, Counterterrorism, Criminal background checks, Data collection, Explosives, FBI National Instant Criminal Background Check System, Federal/state relations, Firearms, Government information dissemination, Gun control law, Homeland security, Information access, Information disclosure, Investigations by federal agencies, Law enforcement agencies, National instant criminal background check system, Passenger screening, Records, Terrorism, Terrorists
The governor's bill would also authorize the state to adopt the National Instant Criminal Background Check System improvements contained in a 2007 law adopted in the wake of the Virginia Tech massacre.
The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Section of the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services Division has completed 10 years of operation.