The iceberg in question was named "B-15" by the National Ice Center, a governmental organization that tracks icebergs for vessel safety.
What does NIC stand for?
NIC stands for National Ice Center (US)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of NIC
We have 324 other meanings of NIC in our Acronym Attic
- National Insurance Board of Trinidad and Tobago (est. 1972)
- Northern Irish Bridge Union (card game)
- Nationaal Instituut Voor Budgetvoorlichting
- Non Invasive Break Up Time (measurement used in dry eye treatment)
- Nederlands Informatiecentrum Bodembeschermende Voorzieningen (Dutch: Learning English Soil Protective Services)
- National Independent Bookstore Week
- North Indian Bend Wash (EPA Superfund Site)
- John von Neumann Institute for Computing
- Nagoya International Center (Japan)
- Natal Indian Congress (South Africa)
- National Identification Code
- National Identity Card (Pakistan)
- National Immigration Conference (National Industrial Conference Board)
- National Incident Commander (US DHS)
- National Industrial Classification (India)
- National Informatics Centre (Department of Information Technology, government of India)
- National Information Center
- National Innovation Competition (various locations)
- National Innovation Council (India)
- National Institute of Corrections (Federal Agency)
Samples in periodicals archive:
For every foot of B-10A above sea level, three to five feet of ice jut below sea level--and "icebergs cut through a steel ship like a knife into a stick of butter," says Jeff Andrews, an analyst at the National Ice Center in Washington, D.
The A-38 iceberg was discovered by scientist Mary Keller of the National Ice Center, who was examining satellite images of the region's ice shelves.