N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a medicine that is used as a mucolytic agent due to its ability in breaking sulfide bonds and converting them into the two groups of sulfhydryl.
What does NAC stand for?
NAC stands for N-Acetylcysteine
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of NAC
We have 520 other meanings of NAC in our Acronym Attic
- Nederlandse Airsoft Belangen Vereniging (Dutch: Dutch Airsoft Interests Association)
- New Age Bible Version
- National Association of Blind & Visually Impaired Computer Users
- National Association of Banking Women
- National Association of Black Women Entrepreneurs, Inc. (Detroit, MI)
- National Association of Business Women and Moms
- National Association of Black and White Men Together
- National Association of Business Women of Tajikistan
- North American Buggy eXpo (formerly the Spring Break Buggy Blast)
- N-Acetyl Carnosine (cataract treatment)
- Name Access Control
- Naphthenic Acid Corrosion (petroleum refining industry)
- Narrow Angle Camera (US NASA)
- NASA Advisory Committee
- NASA Advisory Council
- Nashville Aquatic Club (Nashville, TN)
- Nation of Asiatic Communists
- National Ability Center (Park City, Utah)
- National Academy of Construction
- National Accreditation Commission
Samples in periodicals archive:
The current study examines the effect of a medical food cocktail consisting of the dietary supplements curcumin, piperine, epigallocatechin gallate, [alpha]-lipoic acid, N-acetylcysteine, B vitamins, vitamin C, and folate on cognitive functioning and the AD hallmark features and amyloid-beta (A [beta]) in the Tg2576 mouse model of the disease.
A Mucolytic Amino Acid: N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a sulfur-containing amino acid sold as a pharmaceutical drug as well as an over-the-counter supplement.
Interim data from the study indicated that patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) who received a combined therapy of prednisone, azathioprine, and N-acetylcysteine (NAC) had no improvement in lung function, compared with a placebo group.
For nicotine cravings and the symptoms of addiction there's the amino acid N-acetylcysteine (NAC).
Prompt treatment with the glutathione precursor N-acetylcysteine (NAC) can minimize or prevent hepatocellular damage, but its effectiveness diminishes rapidly by 12-24 h after acetaminophen exposure (6).
There is no Food and Drug Administration-approved treatment for trichotillomania at present, but glutamatergic dysfunction has been implicated in the pathogenesis of disorders that have a compulsive component, and glutamate modulators like N-acetylcysteine have been used to treat cocaine urges and gambling behavior.