The barrier function of the epithelium The physical barriers presented by epithelial surfaces (skin, upper and lower respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract, conjunctiva) represent a resilient first-line barrier to most infectious agents, which is complemented by several additional mechanisms including: * the expulsive effects of the mucociliary escalator in the airways * the flushing effects of saliva, tears and urine on epithelial surfaces * peristalsis in the GIT, as well as the low pH of gastric fluid, antagonism by normal gut flora, and the antimicrobial actions of bile acids.
What does MCE stand for?
MCE stands for Mucociliary Escalator
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of MCE
We have 187 other meanings of MCE in our Acronym Attic
- Modular Control Equipment
- Monitor and Control Electronics
- Morgridge College of Education (University of Denver; Denver, CO)
- Motion Control Engineering, Inc.
- Motor Circuit Evaluator
- Motor Control Electronic
- Motor Control Equipment
- Movement Control Element
- MSS (Mobile Servicing System) Control Equipment
- MSS Control Equipment
- Multi Commodity Exchange
- Multi-Channel Enterprise (business model)
- Multicast Coordination Entity
- Multivariate Composite Estimator
- Municipal Chief Executive (Ghana)
- Music Choice Europe (London, England)
- My Custom Edition (photography software)
- Mammalian Cell Entry Operon 1
- Marine Corps Engineer Association (US Marine Corps)
- Maryland Classified Employees' Association
Samples in periodicals archive:
Mucus from the sinuses drains into the lungs, exacerbating the secretion problem caused by the dysfunctional mucociliary escalator.