Benzocaine has been linked to a rare, but serious, condition called methemoglobin.
What does MetHb stand for?
MetHb stands for Methemoglobin
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Mongolian Environmental Trust Fund (est. 1997)
- Mongolian Expeditionary Task Force (Mongolia)
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. Finance & Administration Customer Services System
- Meteorological Facsimile
- Military Effects Test Group
- Methylene Chloride
- Minimum Eye Height over Threshold (aviation)
- ManTech Environmental Technology, Inc. (Durham, NC)
- Maritime Environmental Training Institute (Japan)
- Masyarakat Energi Terbarukan Indonesia (Indonesian: Indonesian Renewable Energy Society)
- Matuaileoo Environment Trust Inc. (Samoa; est. 2000)
- Medical Education Technologies, Inc.
- Messaging Extraterrestrial Intelligence (San Francisco, CA)
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (Japan; formerly MITI)
- Mitochondrial Electron Transport Inhibitor (chemical)
- Managing Emerging Technologies in Asia (conference)
- Mount Evelyn Township Improvement Committee (Australia)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Excessive levels of methemoglobin reduce the oxygen content of blood by reducing the oxygen-carrying capacity of hemoglobin.
Methemoglobin (with absorption at 540 nm, 575 nm, and 630 nm) can appear at any time after oxyhemoglobin but is only seen with encapsulated CNS bleeding.
5 g/dL)] with 4% methemoglobin (reference interval <1.
Methemoglobin can cause pulse oximetry reading in the low 90's or mid 80's.
For example, the iron in hemoglobin can become oxidized and form useless methemoglobin when there is a high amount of oxidative stress in the bloodstream.