Speaking about the Novorossiysk port authority's decision to turn back the shipment, the city's press contact, Aleksey Alekseyenko, was quoted by Cihan as stating that the 24-ton cargo was infected by the Mediterranean fruit fly, an insect that frequently contaminates fruit shipments in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
What does MEDFLY stand for?
MEDFLY stands for Mediterranean Fruit Fly
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Micro Enterprise Development Forum (Ethiopia)
- Middle East Discussion Forum
- Modified Equilibrium Deposition Filtration
- Municipal Economic Development Fund (various locations)
- Middle East Duty Free Association (United Arab Emirates)
- Missouri Economic Development Financing Association (est. 2000; Kansas City, MO)
- Medical Field Assistance Branch
- Medical Foundation for AIDS and Sexual Health
- Mediterranean Fishery Statistics Information System (Fisheries and Oceans Canada)
- Miniaturized Electronic Support Measures Direction Finding Location and Intercept
- Missouri Enterprise Development Focus Team
- Managed Evolutionary Development Guidebook
- Medical Ethics Discussion Group (est. 1994; Wayne State University; Michigan)
- Medical-Enterprise Development Group
- Middle Eastern Dance Guild of Eugene
- Mega Ears Dark Grey Finish Specs
- Mediterranean Global Ocean Observing System
- Mechanical Engineering Department Heads
- Mechanical Engineering Department Heads Committee
- Malawian Entrepreneurs Development Institute (Mponela, Malawi)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Japanese scientists visited in February and found the Mediterranean fruit fly, or medfly, was no longer present, said Akiko Takenaka, an official with the Japanese embassy's Technical and Economic Cooperation Office in the DR.
Entomologists also used the technique to clear California citrus groves of the invasive Mediterranean fruit fly and to eradicate a livestock parasite, the New World screw-worm fly, from North and Central America.
The Mediterranean fruit fly (Ceratitis capitata), commonly called the medfly, is one of the world's most destructive agricultural pests.