Astronomers have been monitoring the LMC to hunt for evidence of massive compact halo objects, or MACHOs.
What does MACHO stand for?
MACHO stands for Massive Compact Halo Object (astronomy)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of MACHO
We have 1 other meaning of MACHO in our Acronym Attic
- Machine Alteration
- Machinery Alteration (Navy)
- Mid-America Coalition on Health Care
- Mid-Atlantic Association of Community Health Centers
- Maricopa Association of Chicanos in Higher Education (Arizona)
- Maryland Association of Christian Home Educators (Clarksburg, MD; est. 1989)
- Minnesota Association of Christian Home Educators (Minneapolis, MN)
- Mouse Acetylcholinesterase
- Michigan Association of Consumer Health Information Specialists
- Massive Astronomical Compact Halo Object
- Mayo Clinic Health Oasis
- Markov Clusters of Homologous Subsequences
- Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor
- Manitoba Association of Christian Home Schools (Canada)
- Maritime Academy Charter High School (Philadelphia, PA)
- Mercer Arts Charter High School (Trenton, NJ)
- Mid-America Collegiate Horticulture Society (educational group)
- Mid-Atlantic Consortium for Human Services
- Monroe Area Comprehensive High School (Monroe, GA)
Samples in periodicals archive:
1993 | Dark Milky Way Astronomers report evidence of Massive Compact Halo Objects at the outskirts of the Milky Way (9/25/93, p.
Later came a competing hypothesis that the dark matter consists of large bodies of normal cold matter, called MAssive Compact Halo Objects, or MACHOs.
In analyzing the first 2 years' worth of data from their continuing search, the researchers found seven lensing events that they ascribe to assemblages of dark matter known as Massive Compact Halo Objects (MACHOs).
The studies, based on nightly scans of millions of stars in the nearby Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) galaxy, suggest that the Milky Way's periphery contains dense pieces of dark matter called Massive Compact Halo Objects, or MACHOs.