Ziv (an information theorist) worked together in the late 1970s to develop compression algorithms that are now widely referred to as Lempel-Ziv algorithms.
What does LZ stand for?
LZ stands for Lempel-Ziv (dictionary-based lossless data compression)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Information technology (IT) and computers
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of LZ
We have 2 other meanings of LZ in our Acronym Attic
- Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum (Wausau, WI)
- Love You with All My Heart
- Let Your Walker Lean
- Lapin Yliopiston Ylioppilaskunta (Student Union of the University of Lapland; Finland)
- Balkan Bulgarian Airlines
- Labyrinth Zone (Sonic 1 level)
- Landing Zone
- Lazio (Italian region)
- Learning Zone (various organizations)
- Led Zeppelin (band)
- Loading Zone (website)
- Louis Zukofsky (American poet)
- Lubrizol Corporation (stock symbol)
- Luftschiff Zeppelin (German Zeppelin airship)
- Lempel Ziv 1
- Lempel-Ziv 12
- Lempel-Ziv Coding 1977 (dictionary-based lossless data compression)
- Lempel-Ziv Coding 1978 (dictionary-based lossless data compression)
- Lempel-Ziv 9 (adaptive data compression algorithm)
- Labor Zionist Alliance
Samples in periodicals archive:
Most compression technologies are based on the Lempel-Ziv algorithms developed in the late 1970s.
Lempel-Ziv and Welch developed an alternative method (LZW) of encoding data in 1985 that also uses pattern recognition but allows the decoder to build the codebook as it processes the data stream.