What the temporary regulations did clarify (which has been the rule since 1986) is that a taxpayer must amortize leasehold improvements under the cost recovery provisions of the Internal Revenue Code applicable to the improvements without regard to the term of the lease.
What does LHI stand for?
LHI stands for Leasehold Improvement
This definition appears rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Business, finance, etc.
See other definitions of LHI
We have 49 other meanings of LHI in our Acronym Attic
- Lincoln Hill High School (Stanwood, WA)
- Livingston Hospital and Health Services (Salem, KY)
- Lyman Hall High School (Wallingford, CT)
- Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail (Pennsylvania)
- Laguna Honda Hospital Volunteers, Inc. (California)
- Langmuir-Hinshelwood-Hougen-Watson (scientific model)
- Lanka Hydraulic Institute (Sri Lanka)
- Larry Head Institute (Neurodiagnostics training school; Monroe, MI)
- Lars Hoej Informatik A/S (Danish translation technology company)
- Leading Health Indicator
- Lewis Hyman, Inc. (est. 1930)
- Lillehei Heart Institute (Minneapolis, MN)
- Lipschitz-Hankel Integral
- Local Heritage Initiative
- Louisiana Health Insurance Association
- Louisiana Homicide Investigators Association
- Lipomatous Hamartoma of the Interatrial Septum (cardiac medicine)
- Lord Howe Island Board (Lord Howe Island, New South Wales, Australia)
- Life and Health Insurance Counselors (Texas)
- Lithuanian Health Information Centre (Vilnius, Lithuania)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Permanent federal law requires leasehold improvements to be depreciated over a 39-year period.
The company said it amortized certain leasehold improvements on one of its properties over a period that exceeded the lease term, causing a cumulative understatement of leasehold amortization expense of $410,000 as of Dec.
If your company doesn't require a loan or other financing to construct its initial leasehold improvements, you should nonetheless make every effort to negotiate a financeable ground lease in order to give you sufficient flexibility to use its leasehold interest and leasehold improvements to obtain financing at a later date.
If the proceeds are used for qualified construction of leasehold improvements to the space, the cash or rent reduction will not be included in the tenant's gross income.
Each asset that forms a part of a leasehold improvement made by, or on behalf of, a tenant must be accounted for on a separate basis even though all of the individual assets remain in a single class for purposes of the terminal loss and recapture rules.
Build-Out Allowances The tax treatment of leasehold improvements generally depends on which party pays for and owns the improvements.