Despite mounting criticism, Turkey has already advanced this project, now called a Landing Platform Dock (LPD), with an undeclared intention of extending it to a full aircraft carrier program at a cost of nearly $3 billion or more.
What does LPD(R) stand for?
LPD(R) stands for Landing Platform Dock (Replacement) (UK Royal Navy)
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Low-Pressure Dryer
- Low-Pressure steam Drain
- Low-Protein Diet
- Loyalty, Pride, Dedication (high school football team slogan; Griffith, IN)
- Lubbock Police Department (Texas)
- Luteal Phase Deficiency
- Lymphoproliferative Disease
- Lynchburg Police Department (Lynchburg, VA, USA)
- Lynden Police Department (Washington)
- Lynnwood Police Department (Lynnwood, WA, USA)
- Land Planning & Design Associates, Inc. (est. 1970; Virginia)
- Left Posterior Descending Artery (cardiology)
- Licensed Private Detectives Association
- Limpopo Province Department of Agriculture (South Africa)
- Line Problem Determination Aid
- Link Problem Determination Aids
- Log-Periodic Dipole Antenna
- Log-Periodic Dipole Array
- Link Problem Determination Aid 2
- Log Periodic Dipole Antenna Array
Samples in periodicals archive:
As she came to a halt across the water from the World Trade Centre site on November 2, the Landing Platform Dock Ship dipped her flag and delivered a 21-gun salute.
Indian navy is acquiring a number of platforms - frigates, destroyers, corvettes, offshore patrol vessels, mini counter vessels, fast interceptors and tankers, while finalising the design for the landing platform dock on the lines of INS Jalashwa.
besides being the first landing Platform Dock to be acquired by the navy,'' according to the statement.
Qinetiq, which has a major facility in Malvern, yesterday said the new generation of fast landing craft would play an integral part in the primary role of the Royal Navy's new Landing Platform Dock vessels, HMS Albion and HMS Bulwark, to support Royal Marine Commandos during amphibious operations.
Cleveland, one of the Navy's landing platform dock ships.